Early Members of the Department of Biological Sciences: Biology before Vesta Holt
From Jeff Layne
The Biological Science Department at CSU, Chico – as well as other natural science departments – is housed in a large, three-story building named Vesta Holt Hall, known informally as Holt Hall. But who was Vesta Holt and what is her place in the history of science education at CSU, Chico? In this presentation, Dr. Ailsie Mcenteggart shares photos that are well over 100 years old of downtown Chico and the Chico Normal School, which later became CSU, Chico. From the opening of the Normal School in 1889 until 1899, there was only one instructor to teach all science courses. There were more instructors by the time Vesta Holt arrived in 1926, but during her 32 years at what was Chico State College, the science programs grew. When she retired in 1958 she held the title of Natural Sciences Division Chair.
Recorded: February 24, 2017